Sunday, March 13, 2011

If God, Why Evil by Norman L. Geisler

In the midst of the earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan, this book couldn't have come at a more perfect time. As I was locating family members over there, I found myself questioning, why does God allow suffering? Geisler explains the concepts of evil and suffering in his newest book, If God, Why Evil?

While this isn't a quick read, it's very thorough. It took me over the course of a few days to read through it as there is a lot of information in it and not something I could read in one sitting. However, the details in this book will surprise you. Backed by Lee Strobel, the author of The Case for Christ, Norman L. Geisler is an expert author and philosopher able to capture the essence of so many questions that people have in their minds. "If God knew in advance that all  this evil would happen, why did He create the world? Wouldn't nothing be better than something evil? Why didn't he create a better world? Why doesn't God stop all the evil and suffering?(p. 35,56)"

For me personally, I've suffered from various tragedies and have come across many evils in my lifetime. So I've asked these questions, not necessarily doubting God but being confused on this subject. I've also heard friends ask these questions, including non-believers. After reading this, I feel like I can now answer those questions more confidently. This is a book that is a must-have in all libraries.

*** This book was sent to me to be reviewed for free from Bethany House Publishers.

No comments: