Thursday, September 17, 2009

Speechless!

http://thomasnelson.insidethecover.com/widget/?isbn=9781595550224



Can you imagine working/living in a place where women are looked down upon and you were limited rights as a citizen? Kabul was one of those places. In a country like America where we have lots of freedom, we should count our blessings. Women have the freedom to work, become educated, make decisions about marriage. Other places are not this way.

Eight missionaries moved to Afghanistan to help others in need and to share the Gospel through their kindness and good deeds. They helped the poor and gave hope to many Afghan refugees. They also enlisted the help of sixteen faithful Afghan citizens in their organization. Before September 11th, these twenty-four individuals were taken under control by the Taliban and thrown into prison. Their family members fleed the country to escape imprisonment. The twenty four who were left behind in captivity stayed under the Taliban control for 105 days.

Kabul 24 is the story of these God-fearing men and women who endured abuse and imprisonment from some of the world's most extreme. Once I got this book in the mail, I couldn't put it down. It literally left me speechless. While I read this story that was rarely proclaimed through the news, I felt chills run up and down my spine. I felt their fear and abandonment as they prayed for God's presence through this horrific ordeal. Miraculously, God always came through in different forms. Readers who don't know God will learn what a mighty God these believers served.

If I could sum up this book with one word, it would be speechless! God is amazing in all of the circumstances that we go through in our lives. I don't know if I could be as brave as these individuals were when they stood up with honest answers to the interrogators or the Taliban. They were persecuted, nonetheless. And this book is a lesson for all who serve Him of those who are faithful enough to go out in to the world to preach the good news. I loved this book so much and I can't WAIT for the movie to come out!

No comments: