Levi's Will by W. Dale Cramer
I must admit that I'm usually not a fan of stories that represent the Amish tradition. Mainly, I don't often find them very entertaining. Even as I began to read this book, it took a few pages to get in to the story. However, it wasn't long before I was swept into the world of Will Mullet, or as his fake name was, Will McGruder.
As a mother, I also must admit that I have secret ambitions for our kids. I've always proclaimed that I just want our kids to be Jesus followers. I don't mind what they choose as a career or life goal. As long as they have faith in Jesus, I will be happy. But some parents hold stricter ambitions. Some parents want their kids to follow certain denominations for church or hope they'll follow a particular career path. Undeniably, most parents could agree that they have some sort of secret ambition for their children.
Similarly, the Amish have secret ambitions for their children with hopes that they will sustain their way of life. Even more, the Amish community is known for their strict adherence to rules in their faith. If someone wants to leave the world of the Amish, they won't be able to come back. They are basically banned from the Amish community. In Will's case, he impregnanted a girl from the Amish community. This sets his father and the elders in a rage. To make things worse, he bails out on this girl to escape into regular American life of the 1940s.
After a short time, Will joins the Army and begins to make himself a life in America. Sadly, his father now rejects him as a son. His father is crushed that Will has turned his back on his father's ambition for Will's life. The story continues with their relationship and how it changes for better and for worse. The reader will learn about forgiveness and the common conflicts between father and son. Admittedly, this story was amazing.
You can purchase this book at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764207121/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img
The Importance of Baptism as Christ's Ordinance
2 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment