Monday, February 1, 2010

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

From the author who wrote about The Faith of George W. Bush and The Faith of Barack Obama comes a book about the Guinness family and their impact on society. At first glance, one might ask how God and Guinness can be in the same title. However, in just the introduction of the book, the reader will become delighted to learn of the impact Guinness has made in Ireland to so many generations. Not only that but the Guinness family also were a very religious family.

I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of the book where the author wrote about the history of beer. He talks about the pilgrims and the importance of beer to them. He wrote about Charlemagne and the use of beer during that time. And he writes about beer and it's use during the beginning of America. My knowledge was thoroughly expanded and I appreciated the history lessons.

Being a Christian and growing up in a non-drinking family, I don't have much experience in this subject. To this day, I don't drink beer, partly because of the taste. Partly, I don't drink because of it's effect on some of our relatives who abused it. But I'm not against it if it's not overly consumed.

Furthermore, I learned a great deal about the Guinness family and the things they did for their employees. I found it interesting how they encouraged its employees to continue their education. Mainly, I enjoyed hearing about the way they treated their employees. I even learned the process of beer making. I had no idea how it was made.

This book is fascinating and the author did a great job presenting his material. From a Christian standpoint, he brought to attention a subject that is often avoided in the Christian community. For those who enjoy learning something new, you will enjoy this book. For those who want to understand the history of beer and how it affected society through the ages, you will enjoy this book. This book is full of information and was very well done. Thanks for the great read!

No comments: