Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What Your SON Isn't Telling You by Michael Ross and Susie Shellenberger

Although I don't have teenage boys yet, I do have two sons who will be approaching this stage in the future. When I saw that there was a book co-written by Susie Shellenberger, I agreed to review this book from Bethany House for free.

Growing up in the 1980s and 1990s, Susie Shellenberger was well-known in our home. I suscribed to Brio magazine and owned some of her books for teenage girls. Her advice was Biblical and helpful during a very difficult stage of life.

With this, I received this book and it's just what a parent needs in understanding the mind of a teenage boy. The other author, Michael Ross, created Breakaway, a magazine for teenage boys. The two authors have written several books for teenagers and have helped parents all over the world in this trying stage of life.  This current book is full of wonderful advice for both parents and teenage boys.

At the beginning, the book describes "how a boy's world looks and feels (p.12)" by talking about things like "rejection, fascination with the opposite sex, and his drive for independence (p.15)." These things are just a small portion of the basics of teenagehood. There are different stages of puberty and the book describes what happens at each stage.

Next come topics such as cruelty caused by peers, emails from teen boys, the different battlegrounds they face, how to communicate to your son and much more. Parents will appreciate the chapters on "what he needs from mom (p.145)" and the important role of fathers, or as described, "guy time (p.161)."

As my boys get older and face this stage of life, I know this book will get lots of wear and tear with all the help it's going to give. I highly recommend all parents of teenage boys to own a copy of this book. So many topics are discussed in this book with real life examples for parents to understand and relate. What a great book!

No comments: