Genesis 1:28: "God blessed them and said to them, 'Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."
Often times, actually quite frequently, I'll hear parents complain about their kids. I can understand the daily frustrations that come along with parenting. Although, most of the time, it seems as though opinions are expressed through tiredness, irritation, and/or hormones. It's normal to experience frustrations with your kids. But what feels sour to me is when those opinions are expressed too freely as if children are burdens and not in expression of someone seeking advice from a friend about parenting. Really, I feel sorry for the child who is talked about this negative manner.
Example #1: I can't wait for my kids to be back in school so I can have peace and quiet.
Response: Shouldn't we want to value every moment with our children. Sure we need peace and quiet. But we also wanted these blessings in the first place.
Example #2: Did you see that family of six over there? Who wants all those kids? They can't possibly find time to spend with each one.
Response: God calls children blessings. Perhaps large families aren't your thing but it can really be something for others. Besides, you can make time for each one. It all depends on your priorities. If your priorities are spent watching t.v., overworking, etc. then you probably don't have time for them. Even families with just one or two children can receive no attention. It's what you make of it.
Now I know I've been guilty of an occasional rant about children in the past. I'm not perfect and I won't ever admit that I am. But lately, God has really closed in my heart about the blessings of children. I'd like to call attention to our tongues and what we say to others. Our kids are such great blessings in our lives. Whether we have three or ten, they will all be blessings and the greatest gifts God could give our marriage.
The Importance of Baptism as Christ's Ordinance
2 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment