Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Media Fast Part 1

So I heard about this idea to do a media fast. This is where a person abstains from all sources of media for so many days and instead uses that time to pray, read the Bible, and build relationships. I thought it sounded like a good idea! How much time do I waste in a day with media sources (Facebook, sending emails, watching the news, searching the internet, shopping on the internet, etc.)? I know it's wayyyyyyyy too much!

With this, I'm considering challenging myself with a media fast in the near future so I can re-devote myself to better things. Now, I'm not sure as to when I'll begin this challenge and how much media I'll cut out (some will be necessary such as paying bills online with Mike gone) but I'm up for this challenge. What I'm thinking is this:

30 days without:
  • t.v.
  • facebook
  • most internet

These things will be limited:
  • Once a week movie night will continue (We do this on Saturday night with the kids- it's usually only an hour and a half)
  • Checking internet every 3-4 days just to pay bills and check notices on email for a brief few minutes from squadron
  • Chat on Skype with Mike
  • I may blog about the books I'm reading from the book publishers blogger review program I'm doing, only because I'm committed and owe them their reviews. All other blogging with pictures and stories will have to wait.
By eliminating the most obvious sources of media through this fast, I think it will help me re-prioritize my life. Although I'm not doing an entire media fast, I think by cutting out some of the bigger sources over a period of time will make a difference. Plus, I want to be reasonable since deep down I know I can't cut it all out entirely at this time. But this is a start and perhaps down the road, I can do it again and cut it all out. It's just not possible at this time.

Furthermore, as I write this out on here this morning, I'm thinking of beginning this challenge on November 1st. If anything changes or I think of pushing it to a later time, I'll inform you. Otherwise, I'm going to challenge myself during the month of November with this media fast challenge. Meanwhile, if you need to get ahold of me in November, you'll just have to call me. I don't often answer my phone when I'm homeschooling Hunter but I will at all other times, if available. I most likely won't be responding to email during this month either. So challenge be it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome idea Carrie! I very much respect this decision, perhaps I should challenge myself... I know I spend far too much time on the computer... Praying for you as you fast, please let us know (when your 30 days is up of course :)) how it goes!