Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pride

Romans 12:2,3 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will. Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Pride! We all have it! Whether it's a simple case of rooting for your favorite football team or thinking your brain is superior to others, pride is in our hearts. Pride is when you think of yourself more highly than others. While it's okay to root for your favorite team with pride, it's not okay to think of yourself better than the world.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Sometimes it could be a simple case of appearance! Some people feel they are blessed with perfect appearance or boast about their weight. They might put others down who are a larger weight. Others boast about the size of their house. This is all pride and God says pride is evil. I know I do it. I know others do it too!

This week, the kids and I have been talking about the Tower of Babel. In this story, the people of Babylonia wanted to build a big tower. Then they decided to continue building it all of the way to heaven. The people got carried away with pride and this made God angry. So he decided to change all of their languages. Before this, everyone spoke the same language. But because of the people's pride, God made it so they would all have different languages making it difficult to communicate with one another.

With this, this story has been on my heart this week as it has taught me about pride. It's so easy to get carried away with pride. When we think that what we have or whatever is better than someone elses, it can also create hurtful feelings to others. So I intend to work on it. We all have our battles, whether it's weight, gossip, or whatever. To judge someone else because they are overweight, have a smaller house or own a weird looking car isn't right.

Galatians 2:6 As for those who seemed to be important- whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance.

Furthermore, I just wanted to share with everyone what I feel God has been working on my heart this week.

Romans 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

No comments: