Saturday, October 10, 2009

Today Vs. Tomorrow

Proverbs 27:1 “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.”


Being an incredibly anxious person, I find myself constantly thinking about the next day, month, etc. Sometimes I’ll think things will be easier once tomorrow comes. Or perhaps, I’ll be happier when I can finally buy that new dress next week, once payday rolls around. Or maybe even when the baby finally sleeps through the night, everything will be much simpler.

Yet, I often forget that I don’t know what the future holds. The only one who can foresee the future is God. If I’m always waiting for that next day or week, I’m missing out on the present moments of life. The current moments are what I should be focusing on, not the future.

Sometimes as I look back at baby pictures of the kids, I regret that I didn’t hold on to those current moments longer. At times, I was in a hurry for them to get older so I wouldn’t be so tired or that I could get a longer break. But once they started to get older, I wished for those moments again that I could hold them close without them pulling away.

The best things in life can be right in front of us and we can be so eager for tomorrow that we miss out on today. Sadly, the trouble with holding on to hope in the future is that I may not even be here. We don’t know how long we will be living on earth. Therefore, we should put everything in today’s time and make the most of every moment God gives us.

No comments: