Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Homosexuality and the Christian by Mark A. Yarhouse

Finally there is a book out there for Christians that addresses the issue of homosexuality. Growing up having some phobia of gays, yet never really understanding the issue, this book brought forth many ideas and questions most Christians have concerning this subject.


Yarhouse opens the book with an important question that many seem to ask without obvious explanation. What does God think about homosexuality? The author discusses what the Roman Catholic communities and Protestant communities believe the Bible says about this issue. I wish there was a little more meat to this chapter as many people have various opinions on what the Bible says but there wasn't a full explanation.

The book continues on with chapters that discuss:
Why is sexual identity the heart of the matter?
What causes homosexuality?
Can someone change sexual orientation?
What if my child or teen announces a gay identity?
What if my spouse identifys a gay identity?
What is the church's response to enduring conditions?

For many Christians, this is a tough issue and I like the questions that are addressed in this book. Providing solid answers, I do wish there was more in some of the chapters. And I wish there were more Biblical references. However, this is the first book of it's kind that I've seen that can guide most people on this subject. I appreciate it that the author has touched a subject that many people are afraid to talk about in the Christian community. Hopefully there will be more books of this nature and maybe the author will make a part two in the future.

*** I reviewed this book for free from Bethany House Publishers as part of their blog reviewers program!

No comments: